Mar 27, 2009

Week 1: The Immaculate Conception

The road to a new baby begins with a single... well, you know. Or do you? See, I thought I new how everything worked until my wife and I decided to start trying. Since I'm a slow reader, I figured I'd order a few books on pregnancy beforehand so I could get a head start. I buy the books online, get them in a few days and start reading, only to find out my wife is already pregnant without me doing a single thing! Now this was a shock to me. I had high hopes of being involved!

Don't worry; nothing salacious happened. Apparently this whole 40 weeks of pregnancy begins 2 weeks prior to conception. So "Week One" of pregnancy begins before the act that I always thought was the equivalent of pulling the trigger on the starting pistol - so to speak.
Now I know there are things going on inside of my wife involving eggs and ovaries and Fallopian tubes (don't quiz me on this). By the way, Fallopian Tube always sounded like a European model or some sort of evil villain: "Hello, my name is Fallopian Tube, prepare to meet your doom." Regardless, this process that occurs during the first two weeks of so-called pregnancy happens all the time. Why do they call it week one and week two of pregnancy? Can't we separate this out and just say there are 38 weeks of pregnancy and call this initial part something else... like preseason?

Oh well, this just means the 1st trimester will be shorter than expected and will go by so much faster, right? ... Right?

2 comments:

  1. Sure you can say there are 38 weeks just as long as you never say that she's pregnant for only nine months. Oh sure at the beginning nine months sounds sweet - there's even movies named after it. But when she's in her 37th and 38th week and (God forbid) overdue! She's in the TENTH month of pregnancy and has every right to have that recognized. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Europe they count from conception. We like being different in the States. :) I guess an even 4-0 sounds nicer than 38? As my midwife told me, no one knows exactly when the joining occurs. I guess then it is easier to count.

    ReplyDelete